.

Monday, June 20, 2011

I Quit.

Posted by -Gs | Monday, June 20, 2011 | Category: |

I quit my job at 1 on 1 Marketing about 3 weeks ago. It was a really hard decision, but I felt it was the right thing to do. I really loved what I did and LOVED who I worked with, but felt that I should help Garrett with his stuff and it was a good time to pursue some of the sites I've been wanting to do.

I've spent the majority of my time partnering up with my mom on her site, www.decoratingideakidrooms.com. I'm working with an ad agency to get the site put on a CMS and give it much bigger, newer and more professional look. I'm REALLY excited for it. She has some amazing traffic, but such low conversion rate. She's basically done the WHOLE site herself for the last 6 years and does pretty well. I'm confident that with the revamp and some good marketing, it could turn into something really great. Stay tuned for an update in about a month.

I'm also taking over Capital G Design for Garrett. He's had a hard time lately giving clients the attention they need now that he is so busy with SCAN and BYU Soccer. So, I'm taking over the clients, project management, finances, etc., but Garrett still of course will be designing everything. It's been working well, so far.

It's been a really big adjustment not working full time. It is a huge lifestyle change. I've realized a few things since the switch.

1. Working 40 hours a week is useless. We work 40 hours a week because we are told to. I often found myself super busy at work, but the majority of the time it was doing useless emails, meetings and projects. We work 40 hours because we are told that's what we should do. We can often finish what we need to in a few hours... leaving us more time to do thing that we want. Thanks @CariStewart for introducing me to 4 Hour Work Week.

Last Wednesday I had what I thought was a good 4-5 hours of work, but I was in a crunch because I wanted to go play soccer at lunch time. I sat down at a computer, gave myself 1 hour and I busted out what I thought would've taken me the majority of my day. You can be very efficient if you want to.

So... I have much more free time. Which has gotten me doing some major self-reflecting. In 4 Hour Work Week, Tim Ferris talks about how we should work not to make money and sit on it, but to make money and spend it doing what we love. He spends the majority of his time traveling or developing a new hobby. He wins awards in ballroom dancing, kung-fu or something and other crazy activities. For me, I don't really have hobbies like that. I'm not super good at anything. The thing that makes me happiest in my life is spending time with friends and family. Its been interesting the past few weeks spending time during the day with friends and family and not feeling like I'm wasting time because I'm with them during work hours. I've been trained to think that if I'm not physically working on something from 8-5, I'm wasting time.

Since quitting my job, I've been able to play soccer twice a week at noon for 2 hours. Have a quality scripture study daily. Go on long runs with friends. Meet up with friends at 7 Peaks. Spend time with family and friends that are in town. Go to the temple. Go work to class after class at 24 Hour Fitness. Meet up with friends for lunch. I'm still productive and get the few things crucial things that I need to get done during the day. But I can now take the time that I need to do what makes me happiest in life. It is still a huge adjustment and I feel like I need to be somewhere or am still going back to work.

Hopefully things will start going well and the things I am working on will be fruitful.

Currently have 1 comments:

  1. Now that you have all this time you should come and visit me and Colton!


Leave a Reply